Spit That Out! 5 Things Pets Shouldn’t Eat and What to Do When They Try

Your pet is like one of the family. They’re there for you through thick and thin, so if you’re like most pet owners, you want to shower them with love and maybe even give them tasty treats. But when it comes to sharing what you’re eating, not everything you eat is safe for them. In fact, some foods can be deadly. Below are five of the most toxic foods your pet should never eat.

Grapes or Raisins

Grapes and raisins, which are typically the same food, should always be out of reach from your pet. While experts are yet to pinpoint the reason why, both foods are highly toxic and cause your pet to go into acute kidney failure.

Chocolate

We’ve all heard that pets shouldn’t consume chocolate, but many of us really don’t know why. Methylxanthines, which is found in all kinds of chocolate, can cause diarrhea, vomiting, excessive urination, and thirst. Chocolate can also cause an abnormal heart rhythm and seizures.

Although dark chocolate is considered worse than milk chocolate, your pet should never consume either. If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate, you should either call or go to your nearest veterinary hospital, such as the South Seattle Veterinary Hospital, immediately.

Bones

Neither your dog nor your cat should ever be allowed to chew on or consume any type of bone. Chicken bones are known to splinter and become lodged in the esophagus. In addition, larger bones can accidentally be swallowed whole, causing intestinal blockage.

Alcohol

Your pet should never be allowed to consume any form of alcohol, not even a drop. There’s nothing funny about seeing a pet that has accidentally lapped up a spilled beer or been alcohol purposefully. Acute alcohol intoxication can cause neurological deficits in all pets, including depressed respiratory effort. Always seek emergency care if you suspect alcohol consumption.

Onions

Onions can do far more than give your pet bad breath. In fact, onions, garlic and even chives can cause intense gastrointestinal upset and can also damage red blood cells. Note, cats are more susceptible to the ill-effects, however, dogs are still at risk as well.

Regardless of type, your pet depends on you for care. You would never give a child something that you know could potentially harm them, so you need to treat your pet the same way. Make sure that any type potentially toxic foods are safely stored out of reach and if your pet does happen to consume something that’s off limits, contact your vet immediately.

Subscribe P.L.A.Y.

Older Post
Newer Post

Leave a Comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Share on social media

Keep it Clean

Save the planet & your wallet with our 100% machine washable Lounge Beds

Learn More

Luxury Designed Products for Pets, People & Planet

Pamper your pet, update your home décor and save the planet with P.L.A.Y.’s luxury and eco-friendly pet products. Our premium pet beds are not only functional, but they’re also 100% machine washable, stylish enough to look good your home & their plush filling is made from recycled plastic bottles!

From comfortable and practical pet beds, new and whimsical pet toys released yearly and the best outdoor gear to help you adventure with your furry friend, we strive to meet the needs of modern pet parents. With exclusive designs created by artists around the world, we deliver a look and feel that will leave tails wagging and wallets intact.

People Are Talking About Us
Hallmark Channel
Apartment Theraphy
HGTV
Chicago Tribune
Daily Candy
People
View More Media Coverage
Close (esc)

Popup

Use this popup to embed a mailing list sign up form. Alternatively use it as a simple call to action with a link to a product or a page.

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.

Search

Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop Now