We all know that cat owners can easily get carried away with toy and accessory shopping for their feline friends. Sure, cats do love to have fun playing around with their toys, but they also love scratching! So you probably want to buy a cat scratching post, but you think that all of them look the same? Well, you don’t have to search anymore as you can now make your own cactus shaped cat scratching post by following the step by step guide below.
What you’ll need
Before diving into it here is a list of what you’ll need in order to complete this project:
- 15 x 15 inch round plywood (the thicker and heavier the better, as it gives a stable base to the structure)
- 25 inch dia. natural sisal rope, 210 ft. long
- Green dye (for 160 ft. of rope)
- Glue sticks (warning: you’ll need lots, so the bigger the pack the better)
- Glue gun
- Green spray paint
- Electric drill
- 4 wood screws
- Stones or concrete to fill the ⅓ of the body of the scratcher
- Fake or felt flowers for a touch of cuteness
- 4 inch dia. plumbing pipe, 3.2 ft. long (or cut a longer one to size)
- 1 pipe lid
- 2 single tees
- 2 90° elbow pipes
- 2 3 inch polystyrene baubles
Here are some extra tips to help you build the coolest cat scratching post.
Tip 1. Be prepared to use up a big amount of glue. If you want the cat scratcher to last a long time make sure to secure the rope very tightly around the pipe using a good amount of glue.
Tip 2. Use gloves when dying the rope and painting the pipe, otherwise you will turn green.
Tip3. Give the rope enough time to soak up the dye.
Tip4. When cutting the rope make sure to secure the ends as it unfolds easily.
Now that you have everything you need, including some insider tips, the only thing you have to do is to follow the illustrated step by step instructions from the guide below. Happy crafting!
About the Author:
Timi Smith teamed up with Buy Rope to make this guide for every cat owner who wants to surprise their furry friend with a unique cat scratching post. As a cat mom and DIY lover she thinks this is the purrfect project that will make you and your cat happy. - Timi & Coconut