As the days go shorter, you can still grab a chance to book a trip somewhere. For the majority of people, summer is a great time to go on vacation, and when it comes to vacation, you can’t think only about yourself. There are your furry friends that will need some care, whether you choose to take them with you or arrange another solution.
As proud pet owners, and keen helpers, we’ve searched the web and collected some insights about various options you can take in consideration. These are just some general guidelines to help you decide how your pet will spend their vacation, so let’s dive in.
Taking your pet with you
Some fluffy friends just can’t stay away from their humans. Such experience may come to them harder than traveling very for long periods of time. As many of us think of our pets as our family, it’s natural that we really want to take them with us wherever we go. However, this might not be the solution for every pet. Here are some things you should take into consideration.
- Call in advance – when you start planning your vacation, make sure you can accommodate your pet. Find a property that will let you take your pet, and look for those that provide pet services. Make sure you know all the rules and regulations in advance so you can know how to prepare for your vacation.
- Prepare your pet – before you take your furry mate on a trip, you need to make sure they’ve been taken to the vet. Take a fresh health certificate, and make sure your pet is ready for a trip. Bring your pet’s favorite toys and foods with you, and talk with your vet about sedating your animal while traveling. If you’re taking a cat – bring fresh kitty litter, and if you’re taking a dog, consider taking a carrier or a doggie seat belt.
- Bring all the necessary accessories – knowing how the big family vacation can get a bit chaotic, you need to make sure you have all you need with you. This includes extra collars and leashes, I.D. tags, favorite toys and something to remind them of home, like an old blanket or a towel.
Staycation for your pet
While some pets may enjoy traveling with you, there are also those that just couldn’t do it. For some animals, long trips are simply too much of a shock, and in general – very bad for their health. Maybe you just need to go on a business trip, and your furry friend is just not welcome there. Don’t worry, there are some things you can do.
- Ask friends for help – if you’re leaving for just a couple of days, one of the best solutions could be to ask someone to come by and take care. This way you ensure your pet is on its territory, and also you know that someone is taking care of it.
- Dog boarding – another great solution for your pet is boarding. There are various boarding houses that provide amazing and professional pet boarding services for dogs and cats. From small facilities to larger ones such as Cooltre cat boarding Perth-located pet motel which can accommodate various species in quite significant numbers.
- Hire a pet sitter – this might be the best solution if you have other pets. Exotic animals and even cats are best left in their known surroundings, and forcing them to change it may be quite bad for their health. Hiring a pet sitter will ensure your pets are taken care of, while they are being comfortable. Some of the pet sitters also double as house sitters, which can mean you don’t have to worry about your place while you’re away.
Whether you decide to take your pet with you or to find other solutions, you must make sure your pet is not neglected. We’ve made a list of things to keep in mind when it comes to traveling with or without your pet, but it all comes down to your pet’s character.
Do a trial run and always consult your vet about the plans, as these things can help you understand the needs of your pet better. If you’re going to take your pet with you, and then focus solely on their wellbeing while on vacation, perhaps you should look for other solutions as well.