Did you know that you can make your dog delicious treats at home? Dogs' diets are relatively simple and this makes it easy to create biscuits rather than buy them at the store. You can save money this way, and ensure you have full control over what your dog is eating.
What is a Dog Treat Biscuit
Dog treat biscuits can be stored in the short and mid-term and can be a great training aid for your dog. They might not form a large percentage of your dog’s diet, but these extra little treats can be great for the times when your dog deserves a reward for good behavior. If you want your dog to listen to you, their favorite treat biscuit might be your best option.
Benefits of Treat Biscuits on Dog Health
As well as being enjoyable for the dog, treats can be healthy, too. You can easily make treats that are healthy and full of nutrients they might not get in other ways. If you need to find a canine rehabilitation specialist after an illness or injury, they might advise you that your dog needs medication, and a treat might be a good way to “bribe” your dog into taking their medicine.
If your dog’s diet is deficient in something, you can also add it to their treats to provide a little boost and a more well-rounded diet overall.
Below, we delve into some simple but effective recipes you can use to create dog treats at home. There’s no special equipment, a lot of them are made in a similar way to how you might go about making a party snack.
Quick & Easy Peanut Butter Treats
Most dogs adore peanut butter! A bit of this delicious treat can even be good for them.
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ cup of peanut butter (Xylitol Free)
- 2 eggs
Mix all of the ingredients together until they form a sort of paste, and then you need to add water. This will make it a sort of dough. Roll out the dough, and then it is time to get creative. You can cut out shapes, and even use cookie cutters to create some fun treats for your dog. This is a good activity with kids. Cook at 350F for about 15-20 minutes.
Apple Cinnamon Dog Treats
We won’t judge you for thinking this sounds delicious for humans, too.
- One cup of quick-cook oatmeal
- One egg
- ½ cup of applesauce
- Combine the applesauce and oatmeal first in a bowl. Next, add the egg, if it is dry you can also add water until it makes a doughy mixture. Add a dash of cinnamon (not too much).
- You can shape this into small drops, or fill molds with the mixture to give it shape.
- Then, place on a baking tray and cook for 22 minutes at 350F.
Apple Carrot Dog Treats
This is a really simple and healthy recipe that your dog will love, and you don’t even have to worry too much about portion control as it contains very healthy ingredients for dogs.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of grated carrots (combine with grated apples if you would rather)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Mix all the ingredients together and a dough should form.
- Roll into the shapes you want, such as little bones.
- Place on the baking sheet and press down slightly to solidify.
- Bake them until golden, it should take around 30 minutes, but you can leave for longer if required.
A lot of people are choosing to make their own dog treats. It gives so much more control over what the ingredients are that you feed your dog, and you can make sure that you don’t end up having to buy treats when you go to the supermarket. Plus, in some places, the ingredients that go into store-bought treat biscuits aren’t the best. You want to make sure that your pooch has healthy and responsibly sourced ingredients only.
With the recipes above, your dog might love you even more than they already do, plus, they’re so easy!