Thanksgiving is a known for being a food-centric holiday all about giving thanks and streching stomachs. Just because we'll be eating ourselves silly, doesn't mean your dog should be too! By all means, please include your pup in the festivities but make sure you know what she can and can't have. Here's are a few tips to keeping your pup happy and full on Turkey Day.
- Portion control. Just because you're going back for seconds (okay, be honest here - thirds) doesn't mean fido should get to gorge too! Giving into those begging eyes is a guaranteed upset stomach. Treat your pup, but be modest.
- Lay off the skin. Turkey skin and other fatty foods can be especially harmful for your pup. Diarrhea, upset stomach, vomitting and sometimes even cause pancreatitis (a life threatening condition that causes inflammation and swelling in a dog's pancreas) are all symptons and sicknesses we want to prevent. Stick to turkey meat and unseasoned sides.
- Don't give your dog a bone. Like chicken, turkey bones can be especially dangerous for fido. Cooked bones can splinter and cause havoc to your pups digestive system. No ifs, ands, or buts here - avoid all bones.
Just cause your pup doesn't get to chew on bones or eat fatty foods to his hearts desire, doesn't mean you can't indulge and treat him. Here are some items that your pup can eat and will love.
- Turkey meat. Like we noted above, don't give your pup any skin - but turkey meat is fair game.
- Potatoes, yams and veggies - oh my! Our favorite side dishes can be served up as a special treat for your pup too! Broccoli, carrots, corn, green beans and peas are all healthy foods your dog can enjoy. Put some aside for your pup before you add all the seasonings, butter and sugar.
- Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin is actually really good for your dog. Pureed canned pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie filling) or cooked pumpkin will help with his digestive system - and make a healthy sweet treat.
If you know your pup has a sensitive stomach - that doesn't mean you can't still treat her! A special toy will make the holiday just as festive. Our Garden Fresh plush veggie toys are perfect for celebrating Thanksgiving.
How will you be celebrating this year? Leave us a comment below!